Bremhill court formerly the vicarage or parsonage lies to the south of St Martins church. The building has a fifteenth-century core and was altered in the seventeenth century. In 1677, the parsonage included a house, orchard, barn and stable.
After he was appointed vicar of Bremhill in 1804, the poet Rev. William Lisle Bowles added many gothic embellishments to the house and garden. It became eulogised by other poets, such as Robert Southey, and by the press of the period. However, the additions were not to all tastes, in describing his grounds, poet, Thomas Moore commented that Bowles ‘had a good deal frittered away its beauty with grottos, hermitages and Shenstonian inscriptions’. Most of Bowles’s garden adornments have subsequently been removed.
Historic England Listing
THE OLD VICARAGE
- Heritage Category: Listed Building
- Grade: II
- List Entry Number: 1022418
- View Historic England Listing