Foxham is five miles north by north east from Chippenham on the River Avon and strays along lanes with strips of common on either side which widens into a long rectangular green, grazed by cattle in the 19th century. The area of housing lies around this green. St John the Baptist Church was built in 1878-81 by William Butterfield but an Andrews and Dury's map of 1773 shows an earlier church on the site. It is of squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings and a stone slate roof.

There is a 16th century rubble stone farmhouse with brick re-fronted walls and a slate roof. The 17th century manor house of the Hungerford family stood on an adjoining moated site to Cadenham Manor. The present one was extended 1920-30. It is in ashlar with stone slate roofs. Cadenham Manor was the estate of the Hungerford family c.1500-1712. It was bought by Edward Hungerford in 1468. John Evelyn stayed there in 1654 but John Aubrey stated it was in a ruinous state in the 1670s. The 18th century farmhouse is, again, of rubble stone with a tile roof. There is a farmhouse which adjoins a former lock of the disused Wilts and Berks Canal, now partly restored. Foxham had a Sunday and day school in 1846 with 100 pupils, built by Lady Lansdowne.