New Year review of Bremhill Parish History Group activities.
A few notes to let you know what the group has done since the launch of the project in April 2019, plus some details on our plans for 2020.
We have been fortunate to receive funding from many quarters. This funding has enabled us to engage a professional historian, Louise Ryland-Epton.
Some highlights include:
- Expert-led workshops.
- A visit to St Martin’s Bremhill in August, followed by a tour of the exterior and gardens of Bremhill Court.
- Initial geo-physical analysis and test digging around a site on Elm Farm in Foxham that has signs of Roman occupation.
- A stand at the Foxham Horse Show in September.
- A concert in the Moravian Chapel in East Tytherton led by Christopher Kent.
- A talk on the Moravian settlement by Nigel Pocock.
- Three chapters covering land ownership, economic and social history of villages of the Parish have been researched and written by Louise.
For 2020 we have planned:
- Further workshops and heritage talks which will be advertised by email and social media.
- The Bremhill History Festival – 12th Sept 2020 – Discover and interact with the fascinating local history of the people and places of the villages of Bremhill parish. There will be Talks, Tours, Displays, Children’s Activities and Food & Drink. More details to follow, please hold the date.
- Engagement with local schools; Further exploration of the potential Roman site in Foxham; Further development of the website and digital archives.
Collection of photographs for the various publications – please contact John Harris if you have any interesting photographs or other images - firstname.lastname@example.org.
More village group research activity is planned including looking at how the physical form of each village has evolved.